[Healeys] BJ8 Rear Panel

Rich C richchrysler at quickclic.net
Mon Oct 12 11:30:00 MDT 2009

Jon,

I'm afraid a wooden panel covered with upholstery just doesn't do it.

This BJ8 rear fold down panel is actually quite complex and must be built up
with all the side, top and bottom wood members, with their reliefs, tapers,
angles and counter bores with trapped speed nuts in the side pieces, covered
in thinly cushioned vinyl in certain places. Then there are the hardware
pieces, trim screws, including the left and right slide bolt assemblies that
key into your rear quarter panels. Also, you'll need the aluminum oval
relief surrounds and offset plates for the hardboard panel that forms the
back of the inside stationary rear panel, sleeved rivets, the chromed offset
hinges for the first hinged cushion panel, it's inner backing and form, the
second set of hinges to pivot 1st and 2nd fold down panel. Finally you will
need the right cushioning foam, inner carpet and vinyl hinged piece for the
inner face to face portion of the folding panel, and the outer face
including the squared heat formed pattern of vinyl and silver braided piping
for the cushion portion of the fold down panel. That is finished off with
the leather holding straps with domed fasteners to keep the assembly in
place when being used as the rear seat back.
Old assemblies with all hardware in place can be purchased for a couple
hundred, but needing full restoration and certainly new wood and vinyl. New
complete wood assemblies are available, and all the hardware is available.
Also complete finished assemblies are available. Expect that if starting
from scratch, these assemblies done PROPERLY can easily cost from $1000 if
you built it yourself, to almost $3000 if you order it all professionally
made and finished ready to install.
Pics att'd for Jon.

Rich Chrysler