[Healeys] rebuilding my BN4

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Oct 8 10:49:45 MDT 2009

Can't recommend any particular reference material, but any good book, DVD etc. on body work would likely help. Also, shows like 'Muscle Car,' 'Extreme 4X4' and, yes, 'American Chopper' can also give a few good tips now and then.

For the sills and outrigger, you have to make sure the new are aligned with a) the remaining structural components and b) the door and door bulkheads. The best way to attach the sills--IMO--is with plug (aka 'rosette') welds. You'll need a MIG--could be done with gas--and you'll want to use a higher voltage setting than you'd probably expect to get penetration on the flat surface. I have a DVD showing how to do good plug welds--the main 'tip' is to start the weld on the edge of the hole, not on the flat underlying surface. Then, grind the weld flat and if you want use a flat-tipped punch of appropriate size to dimple the weld to simulate a spot weld (optional).

The other welds should be butt welds. Measure, measure, measure and cut. If possible, bevel the edges of the metal to be joined. Measure and adjust. Then with the parts aligned and held firmly tack them together every few inches. Measure and adjust. Fill in between the tacks with short, intermittent welds up to about a half-inch, 'backfilling' the welds to avoid preheating the metal. Cool with a blast of air. Measure and adjust ... Grind and sand. Paint.

Tools required:
- air compressor (can use electric tools instead)
- air cutoff tool (3" preferred)
- angle sander (I like 3", can use 4.5" electrical for larger areas). Flap disks OK and/or grinding wheels
- MIG welder (gas, if you prefer)
- body hammer and dollies
- clamps (vise-grip-like C-clamps good--available cheap at Harbor Freight)
- measuring tools and MkI eyball

bs

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

Hi I getting started on rebuilding my 57 BN4.
I have been looking in the archives and elsewhere
for some material on how to replace the sills and
at least one outrigger. I haven't found any good
info on how to. Any suggestions on where to look.
thanks for any help.
Vern