[Healeys] Healey 3000 Pistons

Rich C richchrysler at quickclic.net
Tue Oct 6 11:38:38 MDT 2009

Hello all,

I just removed the cylinder head from a tricarb 300 engine today and have
discovered pistons I've never seen before. The top of the pistons are flat but
with a raised surface that takes a good portion of the combustion chamber
area. The sides of the raised portion are on about a 45 degree angle up to a
total height of almost 1/4". I can't imagine what the compression ratio must
be, but the P.O. had been working with modifying a set of manifolds from an
HD6 carb setup, and had modified the inlet manifold to bolt up Webers. So
obviously the P.O. was after some pretty wild mods.
Anybody heard of pistons like this? There are no markings on the crowns except
a small circle about the size of a dime with numbers 1 thru 6 respectively.
I am trying to convince the present owner that we should bring things back to
normal pistons and carefully check out the cam shaft for signs of
modifications that may not be "streetable".

Rich Chrysler