[Healeys] Exhaust Clamps

Dan jobu53 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 4 09:51:29 MDT 2009

I have a 1963 BJ7 and am struggling with the clamps where the exhaust enters
the muffler. Originally I had leaks in this area and decided to try and
silence the leak. Someone on the list suggested using Stainless Steel plumbing
repair couplings without the rubber insert. I installed those and reinstalled
the standard muffler clamps over those. Everything works great except that
when I start the car the exhaust hits the frame and makes a banging noise.
When the car is running everything is fine.

  Having been cursed with being a perfectionist I want to eliminate the
banging. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good clamp that is wide enough
to seal the joint, probably 3/4"-1" and has good clamping capacity?

  On another note, Barrett Jackson Las Vegas is next weekend. Even though the
prices resemble a Monopoly Game, the bidders are more in tune with Healeys
than the ones that go to Mecum. Before we succumb to the low prices everyone
is concerned with, it will be interesting to see what happens next weekend.
There are currently 4 Healeys to be auctioned.

Dan Serrao
1963 BJ7
Fountain Hills, AZ

People who don't read the newspaper are uninformed, those who read the
newspaper are misinformed........ Mark Twain