[Healeys] Fw: Garage and worshop design

Patrick Yoas pyoas at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 2 12:58:16 MDT 2009

From: Patrick Yoas <pyoas at yahoo.com>
Subject: Garage and worshop design
To: healeys-owner at autox.team.net
Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009, 8:59 AM

Mike,
>From my personal experiences.
Paint all Walls and Ceiling a bright white and add plenty of flourescent light
fixtures.
Be sure if you add electrical do  make sure that there are outlets for
Chritmas Lights...yep!!
Purchase Gladiator cabinets (or something comprable) and be sure to add the
casters to them (I didn't and learned).
Wife needs at least 2 cabinets for "her stuff" and they need to be accessible
without having to walk over, around or through your car parts or car to get to
them.
The above goes hand-in-hand with parts being out-of-sight and neatly stored in
garage cabinets.
Everything is neat and clean and all stuff is cleaned and put away
everynight.
Do not do any major handcleaning in kitchen sink near meal time.
Attic area for storage of stuff not immediately needed and ALL boxes labled
clearly... "Healey Parts" and also "what parts" are inside.
Do not put your wirewheels in the dishwasher to be degreased/cleaned...ever!!!
(don't ask).
All non-funcitioning or marginally functioning yard equipment needs to be
updated and hung and stored neatly on the Wall on pegboard or other suitable
materials made especially for this purpose. You might consider running over
them stuff needing replaced as in the Home Depot commercial if all else
fails.
Higher a landscape service to take care of the yardwork if possible or move to
a Homeowners Association where it is included in your monthly assesment..
Valuable shop time need not be needlessly interupted while working on the
Healey!!
Go to the internet and lookup "garage layout and design".
Also, spring for a good looking garage floor!
There is a really neat lift that bolts to the floor and is reasonably pried
but I don't have information on it. Maybe someone on the List does??

I happily co-exist in a two car garage.
Patrick