[Healeys] Garage and workshop design

wilkmanracing at aol.com wilkmanracing at aol.com
Thu Oct 1 10:11:19 MDT 2009

Whatever you do, don't skimp on the compressor.? I went through two compressors before I bit the big one and got a high quality unit.? The only down side is the really good ones are not portable.? Mine is bolted to the floor and I've piped the air to two other locations in my 1100 square foot garage via copper piping.? The unit I bought is an Ingersol Rand Model SS5L5.? It has a 60 gallon tank and runs a 5 horse power motor with 11.8 hp peak.? It requires a 230 volt connection.? It reaches 135 psi max., and runs at 18.1 CFM @ 90 psi.? With it I can do HVLP painting, bead blasting, and run all sorts of air tools without overtaxing the compressor.? I bought mine from Northern Tool.? They had a good price and free shipping.?

I'm also going to look into a Zip Wall system to allow the creation of a temporary paint booth for painting large parts and car bodies.? Presently I have a plastic sheet enclosure that I secure to the ceiling when not in use.? The Zip Wall system allows for the creation of any size booth area and can be taken down and stored when not in use.?

Finally, put lots of high efficiency fluorescent lighting in the garage and about twice as many outlets as you think you'll need, including outlets in the ceiling from which you can suspend extension retractable reel extension cords.?

Bill Wilkman

USA