[Healeys] Winter Handling Mods Project

Walt Peterson walt2727 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 24 19:55:56 MST 2009

James,
Great question & I think the responses are right-on. What I'd like you to
consider is "The Nut Behind the Wheel" as we used to say. Besides the mods
think of bringing everything up to spec with tight and/or new parts. Negative
camber is a good idea as well as checking all the rod-ends. A bigger anti-sway
bar is good but only if it is balanced with one at the opposite end. Watch the
relationship between grip at both ends. A Healey power oversteers at moderate
speeds but a slight understeer, like tacking a sailboat is safer at speed.
Maybe not for Sir Sterling but for you & me. I plan to gusset the front lower
suspension mounts (Anybody have plans/drawings for that?) if I get to touring
with the Tri carb. A slightly smaller steering wheel helps & what are you
doing for front pads? I've used EBC Green on my track Mustang & love them. I'd
like to put a dual brake system & a pressure valve on the back to balance the
braking, too.
     I mean, the driver is the Master Chip in the circuitry. Think about doing
some Autocross and some track driving to develope your suspension. High
Performance Driving by Bob Bondurant is very informative book & both my kids
had to read it & autocross & track drive before I felt comfortable with their
street driving.
     On the right side of your Plastic Jesus paste a picture of Pat Moss and
on the left Michelle Muton. Your talking about some impressive speeds on
public roads. I've seen a Corvette almost cut in half at the
Weatherly Hillclimb in '05: it's sobering. Best/Walt