[Healeys] End of a Season and Winter Handling Projects

James Sailer bj8Healey at msn.com
Tue Nov 24 08:01:57 MST 2009

Fellow Listers ...

The end of a fantastic season is on me .. snow has fallen and the first grit
has been put on the roads marking the end of my Healey driving for the year
... Every year I hope to make it to Thanksgiving .. but last weekend did it in
... This driving season I spent much time messing around with steering and
suspension .. adjusting box .. setting rear shocks harder .. then softer ...
correcting power steer .. (thanks list) .. etc.. to result in greatly improved
handling and tractability  .. here in the mtn US there are great opportunities
for high speed runs .. sweeping corners .. and tight mtn passes ... so making
ones car perform at speed is all possible and has been/is great fun ..

So now the information solicitation: ..  I know there are plenty of people
that have worked extensively on a Big Healey's handling ... for example front
suspension geometry modifications, ride height, etc ... can any of you share
thoughts on this .. or contacts .. books?.  My BJ8 is currently equipped with
a large dia rose jointed front sway bar, up-rated front shocks (standard
style), poly-bushes, adjustable rear tube shocks, rear lowered 1/4 (which was
really just cosmetic to result in even wheel arch to tire gap .. which may be
a mistake and may come out this winter to see if it affected handling) ....
otherwise the suspension/steering is stock ... the greatest thing I want to
improve is the high speed (>90) tractability ...

Have a great Thanksgiving and thanks for all the help along the ride!

Jim Sailer
66 BJ8