[Healeys] Copper washers

Warren Dietz flyhihealey at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 24 05:23:00 MST 2009

Simon,

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jSz11lz8MA

I need a copper washer. So, I've got a box of new ones of various sizes. All
the wrong sizes.
I've got a box of sundry old flat washers amongst which is an old copper
washer of the right size. But it's old and has presumably ceased being soft
and malleable.
I'm not even sure that I can even spell "annealing" at this time of night,
but isn't it the process by which one applies heat to restore metal's
previous malleability? Do I heat it cherry red and then quench it in water
or is it oil or what?