[Healeys] Brake Relay/3rd Brake Light Troubles

John Trifari jtrifari at comcast.net
Sat Nov 21 21:53:24 MST 2009

A better way to do this on cars with relays is to use an AND gate (also
called a logic circuit).  There are two inputs and one output.  Inputs
connect to the brake lamp leads at the rear lights.  Output feeds to the
third brake light.  The brake light goes on only when you have two inputs
(ie from both brake lamps), eliminating the problem of a flashing brake
light when you use the directionals.  Advantages:  You are running wires in
the trunk--no need to run a wire off the relay and back to the rear end.  I
got the logic circuit for my set up on the BN1 from JC Whitney (part number
XM 138974--$6.49).  It's about 2x2x1 inches and fits easily in the trunk.
John Trifari  Golden Gate Austin Healey Club
ay