[Healeys] Dave Dougan's overdrive part 2

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE ynotink at msn.com
Sun Nov 15 11:53:50 MST 2009

That is interesting. I'll bet the earliest TR overdrives in the 1954 period
were A-Types, which were much the same as all of the Healey overdrives. That
is pretty much as I suspected. The problem doesn't seem to be viscosity, but
the EP additives. Actually I think it may be the same with the later J Types,
which had many similar components too.
Since this was such an early bulletin it appears that the aftermarket manuals,
and probably most of the dealer staff didn't pick up on it. As I stated, my
Bentley (Sorry, did I say Brooklands before?) "The Complete Official Triumph
TR6 & TR250 1967-1976" still has two lube charts specifying Hypoid, EP, HP, SP
(basically different manufacturer's names for Hypoid oil). It sure seems like
they would have had time to catch up. I wonder how many Triumph overdrives
went to their graves damned as worthless crap just because of that oversight.
Then again, they were only Triumphs...

Bill Lawrence