[Healeys] Ivory White vs OEW

Curt/Nancy Arndt cnaarndt at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 12:02:10 MST 2009

Bob,

You are correct but it's not Ivory or Ivory White it's *"Pale Ivory"*, a
completely different color with its own color code and it is noticeably
yellower in color.

Pale Ivory - YL.01
ICI - 3487

Actually, the Pikovnik book also lists Pale Ivory as a color for not only
the BN1/2 but also the BN4 through the BT/N7.  The Concours Guidelines DO
NOT list Pale Ivory as a color option.  I've talked to Roger Moment about
this and we are researching.

Also in talking to Roger he reminded me that these paint chips were for
paint types that no longer exist or are not used.  Therefore the only way
you are going to get an accurate color match is to either match directly off
of an existing area off of the car but then there will still be some
matching done by the painter to get it spot on match.  The "Names" mean very
little anymore due to the changes in paints over that last 50 years.

Additionally, these modern computer based matching systems can only go so
far and there is still a fair amount of "fiddling" that the painter needs to
do to get an accurate color match

Now to digress a little, matching original Golden Beige Metallic will not
work since the original paint faded to a much darker shade one to two years
from new.  And yes, even in those areas that never saw the sun!  This has
been confirmed by fellow Concours Committee member John Hodgman who has a
vast amount of experience on this subject.  Once again when we did my
friends GBM BJ8 we got what I and Roger consider a very accurate match to
the original color, except that the metal flake was not fine enough, but
that's another story.  Correct GBM should have almost a pinkish shade in the
sunlight.

The great thing about having Auto Color Library local to me is that they
supply the paint.  I don't know if they are going to go to the trouble of
helping you match a specific color only to have you buy the paint from
someone else.

Cheers

Curt