[Healeys] Silicone DOT5 brakefluid for the 100

Tom Felts tomfelts at windstream.net
Mon Nov 9 19:58:38 MST 2009

Thanks Bob---I needed that:):):)

tom

---- Bob Yule <autofarm at cyg.net> wrote:

=============
    The problem with DOT 5 silicone fluid is that it is not compatible with
natural rubber.  In older systems, many of them had natural rubber seals and
the DOT 5 fluid makes them go spongy and leak.
    DOT 3/4 and DOT 5 fluids will not mix, so you finish up with separate
layers of fluids in the brake system. Draining a system that has neoprene or
synthetic rubber seals and then refilling with DOT 5 should not cause any
adverse effects. However, we always rinse the system with alcohol before
changing to a different fluid.
Cheers.......Bob
Check out our web site www.autofarm.net