[Healeys] rust repair begins

I Erbs eyera3 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 14:34:43 MST 2009

hello all,
After only 35 years I am about to embark on getting the rust repaired on my
car.
The auto shop teacher at school has proposed letting him do the repairs. he
has extensive experience with roadsters and race cars. I sent him a link to
kilmartin's exploded view of chassis and body panel sto acquaint him with
the car. he has seen it many times...
So my questions...
We are going to pull the engine/tranny to detail them and the engine
compartment. is it better to do the fenders and inner wings with the engine
in or out?  I also need to repair/replace the door striker panels and
possibly a rocker panel plus whatever we find when we get into it.  Should
the fender bottoms and rear dog legs be repairs on the car or should they be
removed?  I will check the archives for info on engine paint info, but if
someone wanted to chime in I'd be Ok with that :)

What else do I need to look out for? Also, I want to replace my BT7 clutch
assembly with a BJ series, what do I need? I have a lightened flywheel on my
car now. I believe I need to replace it, or does someone have a pattern for
re-drilling it to accept the BJ parts?
There a couple of NOS front fenders on EBAY for 1K delivered. Is it beter to
repair known fitting parts or just go with new?
lastly, does anyone have the restorers guide I could borrow? I've seen them
for over $160.00 on the net....
I live in Portland, Oregon, so If anyone wants to stop by and lend a hand,
I'll buy the beer and a meal. Although the beer will have to wait until
after we leave school grounds....
I am looking for a nice steetable car, not a show car. I only paid $500.00
for the car, so its hard to recalibrate my thinking about how much these
toys are worth...I just want to drive a nice looking car to match how well
it runs.

--
Ira Erbs
Portland, OR