[Healeys] Steering issues

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Tue Nov 3 14:29:50 MST 2009

Simon,
You cannot check the wheel alignment with the wheels of the floor. The
car has to be on its 4 wheels with the correct tire pressures, fully
settled with ca. 75 kg on each seat (rolled back and forward, bounced up
and down) on a horizontal and level surface before you can do any
meaningfull measurements.
Soak the nuts in penetrant oil for a while, grip the cross tube with a
pipe wrench and loosen the nuts, they are not part of the tube. Check
for left hand and right hand thread. Turning the tube will move the
wheels pointing both inward or both outward at the same time. Make sure
that the steering wheel is positioned in the middle position when both
front wheels are in the straight ahead position and check that the
wheels can be turned the same amount each way.
Best left to the pro's though, as they have the right equipment.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL