[Healeys] Gas tank

Peter Svilans peter.svilans at rogers.com
Sun May 31 16:08:58 MDT 2009

<< an empty gas tank is a bomb >>

I had removed the empty gas tank from a vintage scooter, and it had been lying
on the patio for at least three days with the filler neck open. I was torching
off a rusty bolt and the orange-red nut dropped and rolled near the open
filler tube.  There was a loud, very memorable "chuff" sound exactly like a
shovelful of gravel tossed into a tin pail ( I can hear it to this day )  and
the tank spun away across the patio like a deflating balloon.  No distortion
or damage to the tank.

Peter