[Healeys] Gas tank

Mirek Sharp m.g.sharp at sympatico.ca
Sun May 31 15:40:04 MDT 2009

Norman writes: "An empty gas tank is a bomb"   You are pretty much right
there Norman - although I have been told that they do not actually explode
and blow shrapnel all over the place, but sort of bulge out and rupture as
the gas expands very, very quickly when ignited. As you well know, fuel
burns, it does not explode - still, nothing I want to try just so I can give
you more detail!!

If you want to see what an "exploded" gas tank from a motorbike looks like -
check out the link below - it is not as bad as you might think.  The site
may be of interest as Ross Thomson, the guy who fixed the tank, is a
phenomenal metalworker who just repairs motorcycle gas tanks and stainless
steel car and bike trim.  I have used him to restore several tanks and he is
exceptional.  Also, before he works on tanks, he hooks the outlet side of
small shop vac to the filler hole and duct tapes it on, opens up the fuel
cocks and blows air through it for 20+ minutes.  The tank will get quite
warm, but this really clears out all the fumes and any little pockets of gas
that may be lurking in seams. I have done it several times before taking
tanks to him.

http://www.execulink.com/~rosst/velocette.htm

Cheers,

Mirek