[Healeys] Fuel Gauge Not Working BJ8

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Wed May 27 14:41:04 MDT 2009

Hi, Jon -
The fuel gauge electrical circuit in a BJ8 provides about 90 ohms resistance
between the green/black wire and ground when the tank is full.  The reading
should be close to zero when the tank is empty.
The green wire provides the 12 volt input to the gauge, and the green/black
wire is the sending unit input.  The terminals on the back of the gauge are
marked T (for "Tank") and B (for "Battery").  As the gauge is installed in
the dash, the B terminal is outboard and the T terminal is inboard.

You do not want to short the gauge terminals together to check the needle.
You can check the operation of the gauge by removing the sending unit from
the tank and manually operating the float arm while monitoring the gauge.
There is a good calibration/test procedure here, but note that it is for an
MG gauge which uses 68 ohms as the maximum resistance:
http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/fg_10.htm

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry