[Healeys] Starter solenoid problem

Linwood H Rose linwoodrose at mac.com
Sun May 24 09:44:48 MDT 2009

Hi folks,
Well I have made it to Oregon from Rehoboth Beach, Deleware without a
problem. Now I have a pesky one. It seems that the starter solenoid
post is loose and I am only sporadically making contact to start the
car. I have had to push start it a few times which while not a big
problem is a bit of a pain.

Question:
I have a gear reduction starter and I seem to recall that you can
bypass the original solenoid with these starters, but I have no
directions. Can I just hook the cable from the battery directly to the
positive post on the starter? If so, anything else I need to do? How
about that little jumper wire? I assume that if one does this, then
just turning the ignition key will turn the starter. Does the gear
reduction starter have a solenoid built in to it to engage the starter
to the flywheel?

Thanks for your help. I am hoping that I can do this until I can get a
new solenoid along the way as I have another two weeks until I am back
in Virginia.

Lin
1960 AH 3000 "The Bloody Beast"