[Healeys] Castrol GT-LMA Brake Fluid

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sat May 23 08:45:57 MDT 2009

Kees, how there can be condensation in the brake/clutch system if it is
filled, bled, and maintained as is just Standard Operating Procedure?  The
only air exposure would be in the ullage area of the reservoir.  Any
atmospheric moisture in the ullage will be absorbed by DOT 3/4, but would
not be absorbed by silicone fluid.

I have used silicone in my BJ8 since 1989, and have never had a problem with
it.  Maybe I should have, but I also have never drained/flushed/refilled the
system completely during that time.  On the other hand, I HAVE inadvertently
spilled some on my paintwork several times and was pleased to see that it
did not immediately strip the paint.

Silicone or not seems to be another of those issues about which everyone has
an opinion based on their own experiences.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA