[Healeys] Brake Pad Recommendations

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Sat May 23 03:24:35 MDT 2009

Tests in the past showed that replacements pads from Ferodo, Jurid and
Textar usually have practically the same characteristics as OE pads.
Replacements pads from Mintex/Don/Lockheed/Girling (all sometimes/often?
from the same manufacturer) may have varying and considerably increasing
friction coefficients when heated up which is not really what you want.
However on other occasions they can perform perfectly well when made as
OE equipment. Non of the mentioned makes showed any significant fading
and all were asbestos free.
I have used EBC Greenstuff to my satisfaction in average use, but I do
not know how they stand up in extreme test conditions. I never heard
negative reports about these.
Replacement pads is a bit Wild West area. There are only a few
manufacturers and they supply other brands with their products. It is
not uncommon to find that e.g. Lockheed or Girling pads are made by
Ferodo (printing on the pads) etc.
In any case stick to well known and established brands as there are
really bad ones on the market.
In all cases it is important to bed in the pads carefully for at least
1000miles and avoid heavy braking during that time.
As pads are inexpensive items it may be well worth experimenting a bit
with several brands.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL