[Healeys] BJ8 wheel knock-off tightening

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Wed May 20 08:32:32 MDT 2009

I tried silicone sealant a couple times, but found that the grease turned
the stuff to a very sticky jelly after a while and made it extremely
difficult to remove.  Maybe it was my high-temp wheel bearing grease I use
for lubrication, or the particular brand of silicone.  I've found that 3M
body seam sealer seals just fine and is impervious to the grease.  It seems
to last much longer to keep the grease from leaking out, too.
Whatever sealant is used, it is very important to get the surfaces extremely
clean before applying it or it will just peel right off.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA