[Healeys] schuttle shake

Joe and Lenore Armour sebring at illawarra.hotkey.net.au
Mon May 18 07:33:43 MDT 2009

Mark LaPierre wrote:

>  so I am assuming
> that the cars do actually vibrate at a certain mph
>
> JOE SAYS,
> Please,please, take a ride in a Healey as built or correctly restored
> to tolerence. Scuttle shake was NOT standard. I have riden in many
> that; did not scuttle shake,did not pull to the left or right under
> brakes, did not have a couple of inches free play in the steering. If
> a Healey has some or all of these features it is NON-Standard and
> defective, or out of specification.  A million dollars of shine and
> new parts incorrectly put together does not constitute a RESTORED
> Healey, unless the necessary parts are  fitted to specification and
> tolerence. No parts left on the shop floor does not constitute a
> restored car.

How do you think they were so successful in endurance record breaking,
dirt road rallys and long distance racing,ie. 24 &12 hour duration.

It concerns me the number of people who restore their Healey without
seeing the need to purchase even one manual or book on these quite basic
cars. Healeys were one of the first of the sports cars to have the
firewall, scuttle and rear cockpit assembly welded to the chassis when
MG's, Triumphs  and Jags had these sections bolted.

Joe