[Healeys] schuttle shake

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon May 18 07:19:50 MDT 2009

Mark,

The phenomenon known as the Healey "scuttle shake" occurs consistently (usually)
between 55 and 60mph when driving on smooth roads at steady speeds.  It is most
noticeable (or only occurs?) in the 6-cyl cars which have a longer wheelbase
than the 100s.  It appears to be due to a harmonic in the chassis.  The whole
car shakes where, for instance, an unbalanced wheel is usually felt in the
steering wheel on in the seat of your pants.

I've done most of the recommended procedures--including balancing the driveline
and the brake drums--and still have a bit of the shake in my BJ8.  This over 2
sets of wire wheels, several sets of tires and numerous truings and balancings
(including 'on-the-car' balancing).  Some claim good results from immaculately
trued, balanced and rounded wheels; e.g. from Hendrix (unfortunately, wheels and
tires don't stay trued, balanced and round indefinitely).  I can't vouch for
bracing the transmission tunnel and adding additional spot welds on the scuttle;
I know several people on the List have tried it but I don't recall one coming
back and declaring 'the shake is definitely gone.'  I suspect any and all mods
may help but none will eliminate it completely (and permanently).

I've learned to live with it.  If nothing else, the shake informs me when I'm at
55mph if I'm having speedometer problems.  My car is smooth as silk above 60mph.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net