[Healeys] Replacing pinion oil seal

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed May 6 12:54:58 MDT 2009

Mark,

You're welcome. Be advised if you have lots of miles (>100K) on your car it's probable the pinion bearings have lost their preload; i.e. enough compression on the bearings to take up all slop and a smidgen more (measured as a few inch-pounds of torque/resistance on the pinon shaft with the axles removed and the diff drained of oil). If you have the axles out someday you can test that, but it doesn't warrant a teardown if you aren't having any problems.

Shouldn't be too much trouble to remove the nut, but you'll need the right socket, a fairly large breaker bar and a suitable torque wrench to reinstall. There should be a large split/lock washer underneath and were originally tightened to 150 ft-lbs. Even with the e-brake set the pinion shaft might turn; have someone stomp on the brakes when you remove/reinstall the nut.

Congrats on the work you've accomplished so far ... feels good, doesn't it ;)

Bob

Bob,

Thank you for the advice. This all matches with what I expected. But since this is the first time I have ever done this I didn't want to stumble into the release of some evil gremlins. I like to avoid those occasions. I am just finishing a rebuild on the transmission, overdrive, and drive line, as well as replacing the clutch. With this experience as a background I assumed I could handle getting this oil seal replacement. With your advice it looks as though the real challenge is going to be getting the flange nut off. That little jewel has been in place since sometime in December of 1965.

Marks 3
1966 BJ8