[Healeys] Desiccant air dryer - healey paint

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue May 5 22:47:36 MDT 2009

I'm not a painting expert, but that never stopped me from having opinions ;)

Obviously, it's a good idea to remove moisture from the air.  In my limited
experience, a good water trap works for most uses.  You can put an extra length
of coiled hose before the filter as a 'condenser' as well.  My father has gotten
some pretty good paint jobs this way.  The 'snake' looks like a good idea, and
couldn't hurt, but I suspect you'll need a new one after only a few minutes of
painting on an even slightly humid day.  Given that a decent paint job is
'worth' at least several thousand dollars it might be worth it to buy a
half-dozen.

My dad uses one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98904

Here's another option:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94733

Of course, it won't matter much if you have to use water-based paint, which I
believe will be a requirement in most of California in the not-too-distant
future (it already is in some areas).

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net