[Healeys] SU Carb tuning

Herbert Miller hgmiller3 at qwest.net
Sun Mar 29 10:10:06 MST 2009

"In any case as Alan points out this only has to do with idle settings and
I think we are more concerned with mixture at mid to high rpm ranges
depending on how we use our cars."

   I do not think this is true.
Assume that at a particular butterfly opening the piston will rise to a
particular position independent of mixture setting, a valid assumption I
think. If the jet is positioned further below the bridge ie a richer
mixture, as the piston and needle rise the mixture is richer through the
needle travel.
   Think of it this way. The enrichment for cold starting for most SU's is
to lower the fuel jet. This enriches the mixture for cold starting. If this
only enriched the mixture at idle, the car would be undriveable when cold.

Herb Miller