[Healeys] Carb Adjustment Epiphany

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 08:20:00 MST 2009

Ray -

If I read what you are saying correctly, is you are saying that you should
lift the pin (or piston) of the front carb if adjusting the jet on the rear
carb to check mixture (and vice versa) - this method sounds unconventional,
but the carbs (esp on the 2-carb 6 cyl healey) do have a direct effect on
each other because of the common intake manifold.  I can tell you, however,
this method will not work on a tricarb or 100, because the balance tubes are
quite small.

At the end of the day, the idle mixture adjustment is exactly that - the
idle mixture.  Your only purpose in getting this balanced is to get the car
to run smoothly at idle.  Once you step on the gas, all the adjustment in
the world becomes less relevant with an SU carb.

You should only be adjusting carbs to get your engine to idle as smooth as
possible while at idle.  How you do it is up to you.

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1
'64 BJ8