[Healeys] Shock Colors

Patrick Yoas pyoas at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 23 17:42:42 MST 2009

Peter,
Thanks for the information. I always wondered about the brand new "blue" shock that I have.
Patrick

Gents,
         I'm just catching up on the subject.

         From "Armstrong Patents Company Ltd. Product Information 4E
1st. February 1968"
The publication is information to its agents regarding packaging,
product number rationalisation, modifications to design, and new
paint finish, packaging and labelling.
         Under "Paint Finish"
         "The paint finish on all Armstrong shock absorbers is being
improved and will be a high quality gloss. In addition, units below
the AT9 and Super 64 will be painted blue instead of black, details
are as follows:
       All units above AT9 and Super 64 size - Black
       All AT9 and Super 64 - Bronze
       All Roadholder Struts - Bronze
       All others - Blue      "

     This is the earliest mention I have been able to find of the
bronze color.... 1968. The unit types referred to above are all tube
type shocks. The lever style shocks are not part of the numbering
system above. There are pictures of the hydraulic presses and jacks
and other lifting equipment at the time being the same color.

         From my considerable experience, I don't believe there is
any significance to the bronze color other than marketing. I
seriously doubt that it was ever originally used on a vehicle from
the factory. This was their aftermarket division's scheme.  You
should see the Armstrong part number stamped on the underside of the
front shocks, and the underside of a mounting ear on the rears. The
fronts will often exhibit a date code as well.  there were blue
painted shocks as well.

Peter c.
=======