[Healeys] 100 Generator Markings

Roland Wilhelmy rwil at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 23 15:47:40 MST 2009

Best I can recall, I don't think the markings on the generator will be
of much help but the factory manual -- which you need if you don't
have a copy -- gives the maximum output as 22 amperes at 13.5 volts.

The batteries had amp/hr ratings of 50 amp/hrs at a 10-hour rate.  The
generator/dynamo just has an amp rating.  Probably your modern
batteries have higher ratings.

Your generator markings will give you the month and year of
manufacture.  A solid state regulator is nice but standard
electromechanical regulators have provided good service for years at a
time for many people.

You didn't ask for my opinion but here it is:-)   if you are going for
Concours, just use the stock regulator with clean contacts.  If you
are going for drivability beyond stock, I'd get an alternator with
built-in regulator and use the stock regulator as a terminal block.
That way you can have 40 or    60 amps or more for all the lights and
whatevers that you could desire.  22 amps isn't a lot of output to
work with for anything beyond the stock setup.

-Roland