[Healeys] "Before the Shrouds"

Rich C richchrysler at quickclic.net
Sun Mar 22 08:26:39 MST 2009

Mark, et al,

Items suggested to install before the front shroud, following Mark's list: I
always install all suspension and steering components front and back so the
car is able to be rolled around the shop a.s.a.p.

1. trafficator isn't affected by shroud installation. I'd suggest that
certainly the grille assembly is the one that gets in the way of that.

1.5 ditto for front end toe in. Agree the car should be road weight before
toe in adjustment.

2. black felt paper insulations inside bulkhead area

3. On the Hundred, the air duct can be installed later; your choice. That
way it's out of the way of accessing the right front fender bolts. On the 6
cylinder model I preinstall the air ducts before front shroud, but the
blower motor will have to hang loose to access fender bolts, BUT do have the
ducts securely clamped to the blower apertures. After a trial fit, the
blower can be relocated into it's bolts and washers later.

4. all wiring possible, including dip switch harness routing

5. all hydraulic lines and clips

6. radiator not necessary, your choice

7. bleeding of all hydraulics (mostly in case you have a problematic leaky
fitting to access)

8. Engine, gearbox install your choice. Can certainly do later, but a little
easier for clearances with shroud off.

9. heater and demister vents under dash cowl area

10. wiper motor, wiring and rack should be prefitted and ready to fit wheel
boxes through shroud when installed later

11. bulkhead and left foot box insulation panels (must be installed before
engine goes in)

12. oil line from engine bay through firewall to gauge location

13. steering column and associated blanking plates and grommets; can do
later, it's just much easier to stand above work area with easy access.

There is no hard and fast step by step sequence, but these items are at
least worth consideration.

Rich Chrysler