[Healeys] 100 blown head gasket

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 22 03:50:02 MST 2009

Mike

I can only think of one reason for removing the tappet cover and this is
where one has too enthusiastically pulled out the push rods. The oil in
the top of the tappet acts as a suction and the tappet can sometimes be
pulled right out of the block. It is then almost impossible to put the
tappet back in place without first removing the cover.

One thing that I do, but others might not agree, is to pull up the push
rod about half an inch and then 'rattle' it around to make sure that the
bottom end is free of the tappet.

Regards

--
John Harper