[Healeys] Steering box shims and adjustment

Steve B. Gerow steveg at abrazosdata.com
Tue Mar 17 07:09:23 MST 2009

Gary,
Thanks for the clarification. I've heard that about the center tightness. On my car the center was evidently worn down enough to make that no longer a factor. When I adjusted it off to one side, the arm moves properly through it's arc without any binding. There is no wear in the idler or tie rod. The only problem I had was a worn bush in the steering box.

I've also heard the peg rides on one side of the 'thread' and the combination of shimming and adjustment handles this.

This subject sounds like it would make a good tech article in one of the club publications or in Mike Salter's blog.
--
Steve Gerow

--
Steve Gerow