[Healeys] BJ Series Door Latches (WAS door striker alert)

Rich C richchrysler at quickclic.net
Mon Mar 16 09:11:51 MST 2009

Hello Listers,

A tip recently learned from assembling and adjusting door latches and
strikers on a Phase 1 BJ8.....

While working on a flat pull exterior door handle on a Phase 1 BJ8, (same as
BJ7) I found a faulty reproduction situation in the angled metal tab portion
of the exterior handle that sits inside the door. This tab pushes on the
inside latch release lever when the door handle is pulled from the outside,
popping the mechanism to release the latch. The problem was in the width of
this repro tab being too wide, effectively causing the release throw to be
always partially in the release position. The over centre latch which is
required to pivot closed was barely holding in it's notch and would often
spring open, or when closing the door, not catch at all causing the door to
simply spring back open. The solution was to grind away a good 1/8" of the
width of the release tab on this repro handle thereby allowing the latch
mechanism to be fully at rest and able to fully pivot the latch to close the
mechanism.

I don't know if this same situation might be involving the later push button
BJ8's or not, but this clearance issue between latch mechanism and door
handle release tolerances up inside the door is worth checking before all
the door trim and inside handles are installed.

Rich Chrysler