[Healeys] BJ8 Camshaft ?

richard mayor mayorrichard at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 12 20:09:54 MST 2009

My fellow listmates, A question regarding camshaft identification. Over the years I have learned that camshafts, which do not ordinarily have any markings, actually have rings that are cast into the shaft. Beginning at the rear (the flat end) go forwarded to the the gear that drives the oil pump, then, one more lobe. Between that lobe and the next lobe there will either be one ring, two rings or no rings. This tells us it is either out of a 100-6 or 3000.
Then, tonight, while looking through my stash for a camshaft core for another racer, on one very good core I discovered two numbers stamped into that area where the rings usually appear.  Could this be a part number?  12B594 and below that another number 8A1575. The cam has a stock lift so I doubt that it has ever been reground. Can anyone help me out here? Is this a BJ8 cam? Thanks for yor help, Richard Mayor