[Healeys] Tire Choice

Ray Carbone racarbon at optonline.net
Wed Mar 11 16:27:24 MST 2009

Hi All,

I have looked at sizes from 165R15 (present) to 185R15 and concluded that the 185R15s would provide an additional 1/2" ground clearance while maintaining similar steering wheel effort and inner-fender clearance as my present 165s.  Although the 1/2" my not seem important to most, my Phase 1 BJ8 has the same ride height as previous models but reduced rear ground clearance as a result of the BJ8's cross-back resonators (driveways and dips are a pain in the *****).

I have looked for the best price for a set of 185R15 Vredestines and found at $139 + $11 shipping / tire, Vredestinetire.com (Tires Unlimited) out of Dayton, Ohio seems to be it.  Has anyone found a better price for these tires?  Has anyone done business with this Web-based organization?  The surprising thing is that Vredestine US Corporate HQ is in NJ and indicates they have no local dealer that carry, or can order, this tire.

I would appreciate any input.

All the best,

Ray Carbone
64 BJ8 Phase 1