[Healeys] Carb gas leak

kaynmike.bham at juno.com kaynmike.bham at juno.com
Sun Mar 8 12:26:08 MST 2009

(I'm the guy with the blown head gasket-no I'm still building courage to take the head off -almost there.) My son's AN5 has a healthy fuel leak at the back carb. Details: new fuel pump and all fuel delivery hoses a couple of weeks ago. Put 20-30- miles on the job, everything looked / felt great.Parked it and yesterday jumped in, fired (uummmm-a poor choice of words) it up and after a few seconds running, it died. A cursory investigation reveald a flowing out of the rear carb overflow pipe. We figured it was something stuck in the float chamber, so we popped the top off the bowl and everything looked good to us small -amounts of very fine sediment in the bottom of the bowl-nothing too weird. Jiggled the carb and intoned threatening words directed toward the gods of carb. Put it back together, fired right up  and for a few seconds- no problem. Then the deluge returned. Substantial  amounts of gas on the floor. Shut 'er down. He's edgy as the sun is coming out. Any ideas?
This list is fantastic.        Mike Gougeon  56BN2 (AN5)