[Healeys] BJ8 Tractability

Joe and Lenore Armour sebring at illawarra.hotkey.net.au
Mon Jun 29 08:17:08 MDT 2009

James Sailer wrote:

>A last question that relates to tractability, As I increase speeds over 80 -
>90 the front seems to lighten a bit.  Could this be an indication of needing a
>little more toe-in?

   James
You may wish to consider the following comments remembering that a lot
of handling characteristics are subjective ;
different tyre brands have different characteristics and different
models from the same brand have different characteristics.
Toe-in  often  gives more stability under hard braking as the suspension
deflects backwards under load depending on the compliance in the bushes,
but may have a negative effect on initial turn-in and understeer. Some
then compensate with using toe-out.
Steering links ahead of the axle line may give more consistency
alignment at higher speeds and loading as they are in tension ,not
compression.

On test and fine tuning almost never done on road cars is the setting of
'corner' weights. That is ensure each tyre is carrying the same load and
therefore doing the same amount of work. Place scales under all 4 wheels
and check ( with driver and normal fuel load) that the readings are the
same. If using one scale place the other three wheels on a spacer the
same thickness as the scales. These figures can be considerably
different due to frame damage, different spring heights and rates, bent
suspension arms or just plain weight distribution. I believe this effect
is more important as your speed increases

Joe