[Healeys] re. Heat Barrier Cloth vs Dynamat

joe mulqueen joemulqueen at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 28 14:04:11 MDT 2009

IMHO, the primary benefit of asphalt type insulation (Dynamat, Brownbread,
etc) is to reduce sound and applying it directly to the sheet metal is where
you want it.  This is exactly what many cars come with from the factory.  That
said, "entry" level cars don't usually have it and are that much noisier.
For example, my wife's 08 Honda CRV is very nice but has lots of road noise
whereas a Acura RDX or BMW X3 is much quieter due to the extra insulation (you
can also tell the difference because these quieter vehicles are 3-500lb
heavier but not visibly larger).

The heat reflecting benefit of the foil facing is so-so after a few hours of
thermal soaking.  The best thermal insulation comes from dead air space
between the metal and the passenger (assuming we're talking inside the
cockpit).  Thick foam rubber or fiberous blankets are what works there.  Thin
fiberglass stick on material is simply not as effective.
Regards,
Joe Mulqueen
(who insulated the most noisy British vehicle made - a '67Landrover SIIA 109
SW)

'60 BT7 project

Message: 8