[Healeys] BJ8 Clutch Problem...Me too...:-(

Skip Saunders tfsbj7 at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 20 15:44:03 MDT 2009

Sadly, I just discovered a related problem.... I installed the geared
starter a couple of years ago.   It seemed to fit fine, it has worked very
very well.   I have the one with lots of holes, so the motor can be easily
adjusted for clearance.   I thought mine went in very easily and it appeared
to have all necessary clearances.

I'm bummed because I was just about to drive Gladys (our green BJ8) to
Conclave in Kingston this morning and I noticed the clutch was a bit
wonky... peddle to the floor too easily, and needed to pump the clutch to
get it to allow me to change gears.   I figured, I must have air in the line
and prepared to bleed the clutch.   That is when I discovered my disaster.

The geared starter motor had clearance....but apparently not enough for when
the engine gets torqued or car runs over rough roads.   The geared starter
(which I do very much like) had apparently been bumping the clutch fluid
pipe just at the point where it is secured to the frame to make the
transition to the infamous clutch hose.   Over the past couple of years of
driving, this occasional "touching" had resulted in a crack in the pipe at
the fitting.....I was leaking clutch fluid.   Not much.  But there was
enough of a leak that air was getting into the clutch slave cylinder line.

The pipe and the fitting does not appear easy to properly repair.  Perhaps I
could figure a way to disconnect the fitting from the frame and jury rig a
short term fix...but a sloppy repair at the beginning of a trip just doesn't
make sense to me.   Since, there is not enough time for me to pull the
engine and adjust the steel pipe so that it gets a new bite onto the clutch
pipe/hose junction, and to re-weld the fitting to the frame in a
not-so-vulnerable position....I'm going to have to take a BJ9 to Conclave
this year....:-(

Marilyn and I will be in the white Ford Escape (aka Connie) that wishes it
were a Healey.

(I know what my next summer project is going to be now....)

Moral of the story.... what appears to fit with easy clearance, might not
actually have "enough" clearance.    These gear-reduction starters are
really nice....but be sure you have it mounted away from the clutch
piping...

-skip-