[Healeys] Starter Solenoid Question

Skip Saunders tfsbj7 at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 14 12:51:32 MDT 2009

Just a small nit.... My BJ8 is unrestored,  I was just looking at the
solenoid and the large lead from the battery is on the terminal closest to
the chassis, and the large lead to the starter is on the terminal closest to
the engine.... As I was looking at it, I was sort of struck by how "logical"
that seemed to me, since it allowed the lead to the battery to be dressed
tightly to the chassis all the way from the back of the car to its
termination at the solenoid...whereas if it had been on the outer (engine
side) solenoid terminal, the cable would be catching a bit more air...

Of course "logical" probably wasn't behind how my car was wired...lol...it
is Lucas afterall.  In any case, since I'm pretty sure the cables are
original, I'm wondering if the "usually" sentence below has the leads
reversed for concours cars?

Not that it matters much to me, I'm using the BJ8 as a driver, and will
probably do so until I finish my project car (a BJ7) and turn the BJ7 into
my "far from concours driver"...lol...But perhaps concours people would have
a concern about the cable/solenoid hookup?   ... and an inquiring (my) mind
wishes to know the "correct" wiring.

Thanks
-skip-