[Healeys] Gasoline Octane

PG britishcars at shaw.ca
Sun Jun 7 16:55:23 MDT 2009

Higher Octane Fuels burn slower the idea being that in higher compression
engines or in exceptionally hot chambers, the flame front does not detonate
prior to the piston being past TDC.

So, yes the dieseling could definitely be related to the lower octane and
the fuel is combusting off a hot spot in one or more of the chambers.

With respect to misfiring, if you mean "knocking" then yes, that is a
symptom of too low of octane (or too advanced of timing).....not a good
thing to do for a continued period of time...puts lots of stress on the
engines and can lead to cracked or damaged pistons.

To get through the tank of fuel either add an octane additive or retard the
distributor until you don't get the "knocking".

Alternatively, the fuel mixture could be too lean which will raise the
temperature of the chamber and can also cause diesling.....is the care
burning hot??

Paul