[Healeys] Speedometer question

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Jun 2 11:44:56 MDT 2009

Bill,

I've been doing a LOT of work on my speedo lately, and I've learned a lot about them. The needle is driven by a flat disk that is in turn driven by a spinning magnet--i.e. magnetic coupling--driven by the cable. The needle shaft is (apparently) hardened steel that sits on brass 'bearings' (actually, just holes in brass fittings). A light, concentric, watch-type spring resists the magnetic driving force and should return the needle to its stop.

I can only speculate, but some possibilities are (since your odometer is still working):

- something has gotten stuck in the needle mechanism; possibly between the driven disk and its housing
- the needle pointer has some loose from the needle shaft (it's just a press fit)
- the spring is broken or has come loose from its moorings (would probably cause the speedo to read VERY high, and needle to not return)
- something has gotten stuck in or gunked-up the brass holes where the needle shaft rides

Getting the speedo apart is not too difficult; you have to remove the tripmeter reset knob (small roll pin), unscrew two screws in the back, remove the glass cover, needle and faceplate, and it helps to remove the housing for the high beam indicator. Then, the mechanism can be gently canted to remove.

The car's polarity is not an issue.

Bob