[Healeys] Flasher questions for the Healey Detectives

Warthodson at aol.com Warthodson at aol.com
Tue Jul 28 09:50:25 MDT 2009

While trying to solve some flasher problems we observed the  following:

Three BJ8's (one Phase 1 with relay box, two Phase 2) The Phase one car has
 higher wattage halogen bulbs. The Phase 2 cars have stock wattage bulbs.
The turn signals work normally for a while. Length of time depends on how
often & long the turn signals are on. Then, the dash lights begin to
operate erratically.
Sometimes the dash light will miss a beat, sometimes it will stop  flashing
completely, sometimes BOTH dash lights will flash. The external lights
continue to operate normally.
While double checking the wiring we discovered that on all three cars the
dash lights were reversed from what the wiring diagram would indicate. I.E.
The  left dash light (green/red wire) was on the right side of the dash  &
visa versa. Have others noticed this discrepency?
Now the really strange part. If the wire (LGP) on terminal "P" is removed
from the flasher & grounded (see Norm Knock's article on replacing the
flasher unit with a two wire "loud" unit) the intermitant problem dissappears  &
the dash lights seem to be brighter, but the dash lights are now reversed!
I.E. When the left turn signal is on, the right dash light flashes! We do
not understand why grounding the "LGP" wire would change which dash light
flashes. The external lights continue to operate normally. Of  course, the
bulb holders can simply be reversed & it would appear  that our intermitant
problems are gone & the dash lights are brighter. Has  anyone else tried this?
By the way, one of us did replace the flasher with the  "loud" two terminal
flasher relay, but did not move it inside the passenger  compartment. He
reports that it is not loud enough to hear over all the  other sounds (noise).
Gary Hodson

Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377107x1201454434/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jul
yExcfooterNO62)