[Healeys] Spedo/Cable/Angle Drive - BJ8

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Jul 26 19:01:11 MDT 2009

Price,

Can only speculate, but FWIW (I've been working on mine a lot lately):

- the internal workings of a speedometer are fragile.  I really doubt the speedo
'froze' and broke the angle drive (there's not much in there to freeze up).  The
internals of the speedo would have been destroyed beyond repair first (and the
cable would still probably turn).  Who did your speedo rebuild?  Did they report
to you what they found?
- if the cable doesn't turn when you drive the problem is likely in the angle
drive (only other thing it could be is a broken cable)
- since you've had two angle drives fail, I would suspect the mechanism that
drives the angle drive (not sure, but believe it's a worm gear on the O/D output
shaft--anyone familiar with this?)

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net