[Healeys] Sprite Fuel snafu

Richard Ewald richard.ewald at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 15:00:46 MDT 2009

I'm in the car business (former tech, now a service manager)  many a time
guys would go for a test drive on a car that was acting up and when it acted
up one tech would look at the other and say "It feels like fuel"  or "It
feel like ignition"
My response was always
"So just what does fuel feel like?"
If you dropped one cylinder and then a second, it is not pump or supply.  It
might be one carb that is bad, but that is not where I would look first.
Fuel
Air
Spark.
In the right place
At the right time
In the right amount.

One of the first three has an issue with one of the second three.
If I had to guess where to start looking I would start with spark.  Are the
points opening and closing?  Is the point gap right?  Is there a spark when
they open?  Does the coil make a big ass spark when the points open?  Put
the cap back on and make sure the spark gets to the plugs? (bad rotor?)
Check the timing.
Only then would I start looking at fuel.
Rick