[Healeys] cooling problem

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Tue Jul 21 15:08:47 MDT 2009

Scale build up in the thermostat or lose bits of scale partially
blokking it or part of the radiator now and again?
Are you using tap water in stead of coolant? Always use coolant (or an
appropriate mixture) to prevent scale build up.
Thermostats do go wrong once in a while, even brand new ones. Check it
first.
The radiator may be the problem as that was "cleaned". The question is
how good a job did the rad shop. My guestimate is not to good and
perhaps loose bits of scale are circulating. It is neigh impossible to
clean a radiator without partial dismanteling and cleaning out every
single tube. It is better to fit a new core with a higher cooling
capacity. You can never have enough cooling capacity as long as you use
the proper thermostat (bar polar expeditions).
It could also be that scale has formed in the cilinderhead and is
partially blocking the water ways. It hardly ever presents to much
problems in the block.
Back flushing with a water hose will not help much. You at least  have
to use caustic soda at high temperatures. Better to have the head
cleaned ultrasonicly after you have chisseled away as much scale as you
can get at.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL