[Healeys] Brake servo

healeyguy at aol.com healeyguy at aol.com
Mon Jul 20 12:42:39 MDT 2009

Ge
Although the brake hoses may be bad they don't usually fail all at
once. The Girling servo on the other hand will lock up the brakes
quickly. I vote for a failing servo. My experience is that the vacuum
piston sticks in the pressure on position due to fluid in the can and
will release when the large spring overcomes the friction between the
piston leather seal and the can bore. In really bad cases the piston
does not release on its own and the hydraulic pressure in the line must
be released by cracking a fitting open a bit in order to move the car.
The servo will usually lock all four wheels if the rear shoes are in
adjustment. A rebuild or replacement is in order.
Aloha
Perry