[Healeys] Fw: thermostat discussion - Part 2

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 19:50:48 MDT 2009

I run three classics in the very hot tropical heat of Hong Kong, and my
experience is as follows:

1) High coolant flow is important, but will not make a difference if the
rest of your system is stock and definitely if it is compromised through
scale or rust.
2) The best solution is to increase radiator capacity, which will then slow
down the increased coolant flow.  The result will be a much cooler running
car.
3) Your standard narrow throat thermostat is not up to the job for a hot
climate like Hong Kong.  I've used them and my cars always overheat when I
do.
4) Using a higher percentage of water to coolant makes a big difference
5) I have discovered that probably the most important thing is getting alot
of air flow over the radiator.  Not all radiator fans are the same, and with
time I have learned that high performance radiator fans can make a huge
difference.  I have a SPAL high performance fan on both the A90 and the Mk
IX, both cars run in 95 deg, 100% humidity bumper to bumper traffic like it
was a cold winter's day.
6) getting under bonnet temps down makes a huge difference too.  Jet Hot
coatings on headers and downpipes seem to make the most difference, I have
found!

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1