[Healeys] Fw: thermostat discussion - Part 2

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Thu Jul 16 17:22:39 MDT 2009

I am certainly not a thermodynamics expert, but my experience with Healeys
and other British cars is consitent with Steve's the thermostat serves to
bring the engine up to operating temp faster, but once there the inherent
limits of the cooling system capacity and ambient temp determine temp not
the thermostat.

In fact for those of us that drove the cars around in temparate climates
year round back in the day, the thermostat switch from winter to summer
served the purpose of warming the car up faster and and getting a little
warmer "mouse breath" out of the heater in the winter, and not to keep the
car cooler in the summer.  And through my own use and experience I found out
swapping from the 195 or 180 "winter" thermostat to the 160 degree "summer"
thermostat did not make the car run any cooler in the summer, but the winter
thermostat made the car run warmer and better (and a warmer heater!) in the
winter.

Greg Lemon